Information Collected. The types of donor information collected and maintained are:
- contact information: name, affiliation (if any), address, phone number, email address;
- payment information: last 4 digits of credit card number and expiration date, and billing information;
- shipping information: name, complete address;
- information concerning how the donor heard about NCSE;
- information the donor wishes to share: questions, comments, suggestions; and
- donor requests for periodic updates: e.g., we maintain information on donors’ requests to receive NCSE newsletters or periodic mailings related to specific fund-raising appeals.
Sharing of Personal Information. Use of donor information will be limited to the internal purposes of NCSE and only to further the activities and purposes of NCSE with the following three exceptions:
- NCSE periodically acknowledges donors by name and by broad range of donation amount (e.g., between $100 and $1000; over $1000) in our newsletter.
- NCSE sometimes identifies donors by name, describing them as members of NCSE, in articles on our website and in our newsletter that concern those donors.
- NCSE sometimes rents or exchanges the names and addresses of donors with like-minded non-profit organizations. We never rent or exchange telephone numbers or e-mail addresses.
We will honor individual requests not to use donor information in any and all of these ways.
Removing a Donor Name from the NCSE Mailing List. NCSE does not want to send unwanted mail to our donors. Donors should contact us if they wish to be removed from the mailing list.
Membership in the National Center for Science Education
NCSE is a membership based 501(c)(3) nonprofit corporation devoted to promoting and enhancing the teaching of science, especially the evolutionary sciences and the climate sciences, in formal and informal education, especially in K-12 public schools.
Membership in the National Center for Science Education includes:
- One year's subscription to Reports of the National Center for Science Education (6 issues)
- Participation in NCSE's diverse efforts to promote and defend the integrity of science education
Annual memberships are fully tax deductible. A member may cancel membership at any time.
NCSE values the privacy of its members.
NCSE periodically shares members' names and addresses with nonprofit organizations that have similar goals and with selected commercial entities that offer benefits to NCSE members. NCSE will honor requests not to share members' names and addresses with such organizations.
NCSE will honor requests to opt out from receiving mailings from NCSE.
The National Center for Science Education can be contacted:
- By postal mail at 1904 Franklin St Suite 600, Oakland CA 94702
- By telephone at 510-601-7203
- By fax at 510-788-7971
- By e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
The sale of books listed on the NCSE web site is handled by Amazon.com and Powells.com. NCSE has no direct involvement or responsibility for such sales. However, NCSE receives a small commission on sales that are initiated by using the links provided on the NCSE web site.
On-Line Financial Transactions with NCSE
On-line credit card transactions with NCSE for memberships, donations, or purchases of NCSE merchandise are done using secure technologies and encryption. NCSE makes no use of personal financial data apart from the purpose for which such data are furnished to NCSE, and NCSE strives to protect such data from loss, misuse, disclosure, or unauthorized access.
Revised February 2012