Planned Giving

The simplest way to help NCSE is with a bequest. All it takes is for you to specify in your will that NCSE should receive a portion of your estate’s assets at your demise.

There also are many opportunities to include NCSE in your retirement planning. One way is to make NCSE a beneficiary on your retirement account. Your tax advisor can advise you whether this would be an advantage to you as well as to us.

For 2011, if you’re 70½ or older, you can take advantage of the IRA Charitable Rollover to contribute up to $100,000 (or $200,000 for couples with separate IRAs) from your IRA or Roth IRA to NCSE. This will satisfy the minimum distribution requirement, and you won’t have to count the distribution in determining your adjusted gross income for your tax return.

And you might consider a charitable gift annuity. You would commit a sum of money to be received by NCSE at your demise, but you would realize current tax advantages. You can also arrange to receive income during your lifetime from interest on the amount pledged. This is a form of retirement planning that provides you with financial security as well as with the satisfaction of helping NCSE in a significant way.

NCSE can be made a beneficiary of a life insurance policy; this is another simple way to support NCSE, if it fits within your overall financial planning.

Finally, NCSE has long needed an endowment. If you have the means, would you consider working with NCSE to make a substantial contribution to kickstart an endowment fund?

Please discuss with your financial planner or tax advisor what is best for you, and for NCSE. We very much appreciate – and need – your support.

National Center for Science Education, Inc., a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization
EIN 11-2656357

Rae Holzman, Director of Operations
510-601-7203 ext 303