Job Opportunities at NCSE
Help Wanted: Fall Intern
NCSE seeks an intern for four months to assist with the national launch of the Science Booster Club (SBC) program. SBCs are public-facing community organizations that focus on implementing informal science programming in underserved areas. NCSE supports these local clubs by providing training in science content and the no-conflict approach and by mailing quarterly activity kits to all of our national clubs. Approximately 50% of the internship will involve assembling and managing our fall 2018 and winter 2019 kits as well as our starter kit. The other 50% of the internship will be training on two or three activity kits and interpreting these activities within the Oakland, California, community. Working with the Director of Community Science Education, the intern will be involved in beta-testing the winter and spring 2019 kits. This is a unique opportunity for someone with a science background to learn about community organizing and science outreach.
The selected candidate will receive training in:
- Climate change / evolution science and education
- Science outreach and interpretation
- Curriculum design for new science activities
- Writing for a public and educational audience
- Developing a large-scale national campaign to engage communities
The intern will work at the NCSE headquarters located in Oakland, California.
- Previous experience with informal science education or other public-facing role strongly preferred.
- Previous experience with project management crucial.
- Preference for background or degree in anthropology, biology, earth science, or environmental sciences.
NCSE is committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourages applications from female and minority candidates.
Salary and benefits:
This position is part-time (12 hours a week) at the NCSE offices in Oakland. The intern will be expected to occasionally participate in science outreach on the weekends (1-2 times per month). The internship mentor will meet with the intern on a weekly basis and be present while the intern is working. The internship will last for the duration of the fall semester (September 3 – December 14). The position pays $2,500 per semester. No benefits are associated with this position. NCSE is an equal-opportunity employer.
Please mail a cover letter, three references, and a résumé to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications must be received by August 31, 2018.