Job Opportunities at NCSE
The National Center for Science Education (NCSE) seeks a full-time Director of Teacher Support.
The Director of Teacher Support is a new position. We seek a collaborative and entrepreneurial colleague who will help NCSE develop and implement new programs that provide tangible and practical support to as many science teachers as possible. The Director will also be responsible for managing NCSE’s current teacher support programs: NCSEteach and Scientist in the Classroom. The Director will be expected to deepen NCSE’s ongoing relationships with teacher associations, climate change education groups, and the education departments of scientific societies.
The Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the director of Community Organizing and Research to ensure that all of NCSE’s programs work together to fulfill NCSE’s mission. The Director will also participate in NCSE’s ongoing efforts to help communities, teachers, and parents respond to threats to science education, such as antiscience legislation or political interference with science standards or textbooks.
Science teachers are on the front line of the battle to ensure that the next generation of students gains the benefits of a sound science education, and NCSE is committed to highlighting the work that science teachers do and mobilizing support for them from scientists and their local communities. NCSE’s core mission is to prevent ideological interference in science education, and to support and encourage the teaching of evolution and climate change. We have over thirty years of experience helping teachers cover topics that are societally, but not scientifically, controversial.
- At least three years of experience teaching biology, environmental science, or earth science at the middle or high school level;
- Content expertise in the science of climate change and/or evolution;
- Demonstrated leadership at the district, state, or national level in policy, training, or advocacy;
- Excellent writing and speaking skills;
- Successful communicator to diverse and varied audiences.
- Graduate degree in science teaching, biology, environmental science, or earth/ocean/atmospheric science
- Track record of successful network building through social media platforms
The position is full-time and based at NCSE’s Oakland, California, headquarters. Some travel required. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes a full benefit package including retirement and health insurance. NCSE is an equal opportunity employer. Please submit your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 31, 2017.