Print Edition Contents: 26 (1-2)
News from Alabama, California, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Maryland, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New York, Oklahoma, and Wisconsin.
- News from the Membership
A sampling of our members’ activities and accomplishments.
- NCSE Honors “Friends of Darwin” for 2004
Special recognition for outstanding efforts in support of evolution education.
- NCSE Thanks You for Your Generous Support
Recognizing those who have helped NCSE financially.
- Whether ID is Science: Excerpt from the Memorandum Opinion in Kitzmiller v Dover
Judge John E Jones III
Some of the major points of the Dover ruling in the presiding judge’s own words.
- Closing Statement for the Plaintiffs in Kitzmiller v Dover
Summing up the case against the Dover Area School Board’s policy and against ID as science.
- Design on Trial: How NCSE Helped Win the Kitzmiller Case
From an ordinary day at the office to a landmark case: How NCSE responds to threats to evolution education.
- Can I Keep a Witness?
Wesley R Elsberry
Expert witnesses for the defense of teaching ID in the classroom vanish!
- My Role in Kitzmiller v Dover
Finding the "smoking gun" and connecting the dots between old-style creationism and "intelligent design".
- The Dover Victory
Giving the court the evidence for evolution and exposing the deception of ID.
- "Ties" to Canada
Testifying about the negative impact of ID on science education and warning bemused Canadians that it can happen there.
- The Termination of Baylor's Michael Polanyi Center: Why "Intelligent Design" Contradicts Polanyi's Philosophy
A renowned scholar of Polanyi’s work illustrates how ID proponents got it all wrong — again — and missed the point of Polanyi's work and philosophy.
- "Intelligent Design": The New Vitalism
Finn Pond and Jean Pond
Throughout its history, science has encountered roadblocks and gaps in knowledge. Whenever these were overcome, it was those practicing science who succeeded in getting to the other side, not those who threw up heir hands in favor of a non-scientific (and non-natural) explanation. "Those who ignore history ..."
- Praise from the Press
Reactions to the Dover decision from major newspapers across the country.
- Books: Darwin, Evolution, and Literature
Books that show the impact of evolutionary thought on literature and culture.
- NCSE On the Road
An NCSE speaker may be coming to your neighborhood. Check the calendar here.
- Letter to the Editor
- Traipsing into Evolution: Intelligent Design and the Kitzmiller v Dover Decision by David K DeWolf, John G West, Casey Luskin, and Jonathan Witt
Reviewed by Tim Beazley